When a woman is a writer, one of the things that she really needs is a room that she can go into a shut the door. The other is money. The first is easy enough to get, but the other one can be more difficult. But the good news is that there are places for authors to go for grants for women writers. Here are some suggestions on where to start.
- Magazines – Some of the writing magazines are going to have a listing of grants for women writers in them. There are also contests in the magazines that the woman can compete in. The grants listed are for fiction, poetry, and non-fiction.
- Email Newsletters – Another good place to go is to email newsletters that are amiable through the websites of authors. A good place to start is FundsforWriters.
- Organizations – A third place that you can go are places that endorse the arts. Places like the National Endowment for the Arts offer funds for prose, translation, and poetry. These kinds of grants are highly competitive and usually awarded to writers who have been published. It’s difficult, although not impossible, for the new writers to get them.
- Grants from the State – One of the best places for grants for women writers is the state. Sometimes the recipient of these grants are required to do some public service, but they are easier to get than other kinds of grants.
- Grants from Private Foundations – There are also grants for women writers that can be gotten through private foundations. There are a lot of them that are available and each of them have their own stipulations for what women are going to qualify for the grants.
These are some of the places that you can start if you are looking for grants for women writers. They are helpful to the women who have not been published yet and they will be instrumental in helping women to achieve their goal of becoming a published writer. Too many women don’t pursue their dream of writing because they aren’t able to stop their day job. Writers need the time to be able to pursue their art but a lot of would be writers find it hard to find the time and energy to write because they have to work outside the home. Grants for women writers are something that can really help you with that.