With the fact that the divorce rate is going up, a lot of single mothers are thinking about going to college to get a better paying job. Unfortunately, they find that money is scarce and they don’t know how they are going to manage it. But the good news is that there are quite a few single mother grants for college. This article is going to go through some of the places that you can go if you are a single mother and want to go back to college.
- Pell Grant – This need based grant is attainable through filling out a FAFSA. This grant offers single mother grants for college and regular kinds of grants for between $400-$4400.
- ACG – This grant, known as the Academic Competitive Grant, is based on merit and it’s offered to college students in their first and second year. Those whose high school academic level reached a certain level can get up to $750 in their first year and $1300 in the second year. This is also going to require FAFSA.
- FSEOG – This is another grant that is need based and is for students who need financial aid to get a graduation. This grant goes from $100 and as high as $4,000, and it also requires a FAFSA.
- National SMART Grant – This is a grant that is merit based and it’s available for students in their third or fourth year who are in engineering, science, math, or any foreign languages that can be useful for the purposes of Homeland Security.
- Some state grants that are available include TAP from New York that provides as much as $5,000 to residents of New York that qualify. There’ s also Kansas Comprehensive Grants that range from $100 to $1,100 and which are available to Kansas residents that are eligible. There’s also one from New Mexico for anywhere from $200 – $2,500 each year to residents of New Mexico who are eligible.
Most of the grants listed above are from the federal government. There are also single mother grants for college that are given by educational institutions and organizations in the private sector.
As you can see, there are a lot of places where women can turn for single mother grants for college. All you have to do is to make sure that you are filling out the right forms and providing all of the information.