Most people who are enrolled in college or who are thinking about attending college have heard of the Pell Grant and they want to know how to apply for a pell grant. There are some steps that someone who is wondering how do I get a pell grant. The thing that people should know about the Pell grant first of all is that it’s based on need and it’s going to vary according to how much someone needs. The amount can be up to $3,000 and they aren’t something that has to be paid back, which is why a lot of people like them. So here are some steps for someone to take when they are wondering how to apply for a pell grant.
- The first thing that you have to do is make sure you meet the eligibility requirements for the Pell grant. First of all, you have to be enrolled in a college and you can’t have gotten a bachelor’s degree yet. You also have to meet certain financial criteria, since the grant is for people who don’t have a lot of money.
- The second thing that you should do is make sure you’re sending in the application early. Even though the deadline for applying isn’t until spring of that year, money is given on a first come basis. Meaning the sooner you apply, the better your chances of receiving a grant, provided that you qualify.
- The third thing that you want to do is to gather the important documents which show your financial information such as W2s and tax returns from last year for either you or your parents, your bank statements, and your driver’s license.
- The fourth thing that you have to do when you want to know how to apply for a pell grant is to get your FAFSA form from either your counselor’s office at school or from the office for financial aid, then get it filled out and make sure you send it.
- The fifth thing you want to do is to review your SAR that’s going to be sent to you when they respond to your FAFSA. This is what is going to tell you if you’re eligible for the Pell and how much you’re getting.
- Finally, you want to follow those instructions to get the money from your Pell grant.
These are the steps you should take when you want to know how to apply for a pell grant. If you qualify, these are the ones that are going to help you to get one.